Monday, May 2, 2011

A few Shocking Moments

This past weekend, N and I accidentally walked in on a modern-day sweat shop. It was a fairly awkward moment...dozens of immigrant women halted in the middle of their sewing to stare in clear alarm at our intrusion. We all stared at each other for a long moment, before we apologized for the intrusion and ran out the door. I'm well aware that 'sweat shops' still exist, but it was rather shocking to find one downstairs from a community resource center in downtown San Francisco. It was most definitely not a place I could ever imagine working...for any wage really, although I will admit that it was clean, only moderately "too warm", and there didn't appear to be a ruthless boss hanging around anywhere. Maybe modernization has extended to the sweat shops as well?

On the news last night, N and I watched hundreds and thousands of people cheering over the news that Osama Bin Laden had been killed by American troops. Seriously? Isn't that a little creepy? A little propagandized to place 9-11 squarely on the shoulders of one man and then hunt him down for nearly a decade? AND THEN, to have open celebrations by the masses over his murder? Shocking.

Last night, I wanted K to come to bed with me a bit earlier than he's been going down. I was tired from a busy day out, and his Curious George show was playing a bit too loudly for me to get to sleep, so I asked him to turn it off and come to bed. He responded by opening his hand in a high five motion and saying, "Actually, five more minutes on." Shocking to find that my son has already developed a strong taste for bartering. (AND that he used "actually" and "five minutes" correctly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love reading your comments, and I try very hard to respond to each one. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...